About Me

My photo
Everyday that I get to sit down and write, I get to live part of my dream. Writing romance has been a dream of mine ever since I read my first romance novel. The underlying theme I carry in all of my work is overcoming difficulty, believing in oneself and achieving dreams. It isn't hard to look to the stars and dream the impossible, because the only thing that stops you is your imagination.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Working

Working in Washington State has not been everything I thought it would be. I've learned a lot about myself working in retail. I can honestly say that retail and me is not a good fit. I dislike having to try to reach unreachable sales goals and the shark atmosphere that accompanies the whole job with everyone you work with. The constant question of why I couldn't get someone to purchase, or to up-sale is tiresome. There is a constant nit pick about what you could have done better. Most of the time it is difficult to overcome the feeling of lacking and not being able to do anything right since everything you do is like working in a fishbowl and everything you do is scrutinized.

The other part of the job that really gets to me are the blackout periods of time that we can not take off. Any holiday is required to work. This is especially difficult for me because my husband and I are very family oriented. Every time I miss family functions because of the work schedule a little of me dies inside. I feel the light I once had is dimming and one day it will go out. Not only am I missing out on family time, my family is missing me. You can't get this time back and the older I get the more important family time is.

I've looked for a new job for quite sometime. In fact I'm always looking. I've put out hundreds of applications in the last four and a half years and I have not been able to find a good job that would give me what I'm looking for. Most of the jobs around here are retail. I really hate job hopping and won't quit one retail job just to get another one. I hope to get an office job one day, or even something in a company working second shift so I can work the same hours my husband has so we can spend more time together. I can't quit because I have responsibilities at home that requires me to work so I can pay bills and contribute to our home and livelihood.

The tricky part is when applying for jobs, is that most all of the better jobs are online only applications. You have to beat the application software with key words for an actual person to see your resume. Then you are competing with hundreds of people may have better qualifications than you. The competition is fierce. Oh, lordy I hope I can find the right job one day that will give me a chance.

What I wish and pray for the most is that one day my writing will pay enough for me not to have to work outside of the home.

Have a great day everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment