About Me

My photo
Everyday that I get to sit down and write, I get to live part of my dream. Writing romance has been a dream of mine ever since I read my first romance novel. The underlying theme I carry in all of my work is overcoming difficulty, believing in oneself and achieving dreams. It isn't hard to look to the stars and dream the impossible, because the only thing that stops you is your imagination.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Stand Up For Yourself

I know that none of us are perfect and everyone makes decisions at times that they shouldn't. What we fail to realize at the time is that there are consequences, or repercussions of those decisions. Our choices can make us, or break us.

When we make questionable decisions we forget how others see us. We all at some point proclaim that we don't care how others view us, but we are human after all and we do care on some level no matter what you try to say.

I know that I've disappointed people, but I have been disappointed as well and I for one have a difficult time forgetting. I've learned through time when something bothers me I should confront the issue as soon as possible so life can go on.

I've made the mistake of not confronting the issues and I'm still bothered by not standing up for myself. It wouldn't be so bad, but little things keep happening that bring up the issues which in turn bring back the bitter feelings that I have harbored.

Most of the time it is too late to bring up something that has happened, but I have also learned that timing is everything. In some cases I have experienced that something happens that gives me the perfect opportunity to say what has bothered me in a way that is not threatening, or melodramatic to the person who I feel needs to hear me. I love it when that happens.

There are two things I will say however, because I just need to get them off of my chest even thought it is too late to do anything about ...

It pisses me off that I never got paid for jury duty. I was denied because of technicalities, though I did find out later I could have fought it.
Also, when I had a death in the family, I was not paid eight hours of bereavement per day that I was out. I was only given the scheduled hours I would have worked which was less. Eight hours of bereavement is a benefit for full time employees, in which I was a full time employee. I asked about this from benefits much later and learned that I should have gotten eight hours per day I was out. I felt hurt at the time. I was already down because of the loss of a loved one and when that happens I felt as if I have been kicked in the gut as well. I never brought it up to my supervisor, because I had already lost faith in this person standing up for me. They spend too much time saying what can't be done rather than standing up for me and saying what I could do.


I'm still waiting for a few opportunities in other cases where the timing will be perfect for me to say what has been on my mind for so long.

In my perspective because of my experiences if you have something to say to someone, don't wait until it is too late. Otherwise, like me you'll have to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. After all we are not perfect and we must find a way to move forward.

Be nice to yourself and love who you are. Have a Blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment