About Me

My photo
Everyday that I get to sit down and write, I get to live part of my dream. Writing romance has been a dream of mine ever since I read my first romance novel. The underlying theme I carry in all of my work is overcoming difficulty, believing in oneself and achieving dreams. It isn't hard to look to the stars and dream the impossible, because the only thing that stops you is your imagination.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Setting The Mood

Every time I look into your eyes I feel the heat of passion fill my soul. My breath catches in my throat with a soft groan as you take me into your arms and and lightly kiss my cheek and neck. I feel your hot breath against me as I lift my lips to yours as you slowly lower me to the soft damp leaves in the woods where we are as our bodies meet as one...

Hmmmm, description is important as you set the mood in a hot scene. I don't think that graphic step by step descriptions are always necessary, but they do have their place in the market, so when writing your love scenes know who you are going to be submitting your work too and what is expected.

My book, My Charming Protector, has a few love scenes in it, but there is more to the story than what goes on between the sheets. I've gotten feedback that the love scenes in my book aren't way out there and they fit with the story as a whole.

Writing love scenes for others to read takes a little getting used too. I mean when people look at me after reading my book they look at me in a whole new way. I mean how embarrassing is it when they ask, "Are you describing something personal?" Just wanted to set the record straight. When I write I am in my character and not describing a personal event. What a character does, feels and believes is not necessarily what the writer does, feels, believes. Are we clear? I hope so. lol

My comfort zone is writing sweet reads. Giving descriptions of romance where man meets woman, eyes connect and hormones go wild with attraction without all the graphic detail entwined in a story that is believable and sweet. I love good descriptions of how one is feeling when a new love enters one's life and fresh feelings of excitement makes your heart go pitter patter as the story pulls your emotions in a mixture of feelings that the characters go through as they find their way.

In a romance the first kiss between the man and woman is very special. If described correctly you make your reader want to place themselves into the story where the heroine or the hero is as if they are too experiencing the same thing. Lets face it. If a first kiss is described as a sloppy uncomfortable experience, who wants to read further? You most definitely want to draw your reader into your story, so take extra care to set the mood.

I will continue on with my descriptive writing and setting the mood in hopes that I get better with time. As a writer I will always be trying to learn my craft better and I want to be very comfortable writing the thing that makes me the happiest.

It is extremely important to remember ... If the writer doesn't believe what they have written no matter how outlandish, the reader wont' believe it either.

Vickie Treadway

No comments:

Post a Comment