About Me

My photo
Everyday that I get to sit down and write, I get to live part of my dream. Writing romance has been a dream of mine ever since I read my first romance novel. The underlying theme I carry in all of my work is overcoming difficulty, believing in oneself and achieving dreams. It isn't hard to look to the stars and dream the impossible, because the only thing that stops you is your imagination.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

True Memories in a Fiction Setting

I was thinking about the fiction story that I just started. At this time I have named it, A New Beginning. The title may change as I get more inspiration when I get it plotted out completely.

I am going to include parts of my early pre-teen and teenage memories as part of the story line entwined in a fiction setting. I've spent the last few weeks thinking back to when my grandparents were alive and living on their ranch in Colorado.

My grandparents worked hard and overcame a lot of difficulties. We used to go horseback riding, shooting, and fishing. We sat out under the stars around a huge campfires listening to stories of tall tales and true stories of when my grandparents grew up.

It was a life time ago, but the few times I was able to get away from the nightmare of my real life, and visit those beloved people, it held great meaning for me. The wide open spaces and the peace I found gave me hope, and it healed a broken spirit I didn't realize I had until later in life when understanding came easier.

The problem for me though is that I've been a suburbanite for all of my adult life. Things that I used to know about how the ranch was ran, how crops were planted, and how jargon and terminology were used back then have been lost on me. The things I just knew from being around that environment have been lost or are elusive and just out of reach since I have been away from that life for so long.

I would love to go back in time to capture those moments. To hold the essence of those family members and thank them for making such a huge difference in my life. I am looking forward to doing some research, talking to people,and going through old photos, so that when I write this story there will bits and peaces immortalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment